Have you ever used beets in a dessert? Now’s your chance! This light, refreshing and tasty treat is a must try.
Beet Panna Cotta with Lemon Coconut Cream
Author: Shannon Doleac
- ½ lb. trimmed and peeled red beets
- 3½ cups unsweetened coconut milk (full-fat), divided
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin (Great Lakes brand)
- 4 tbsp. raw honey, divided
- 2½ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 lemon, zest and juice from
- Chop beets into ½" pieces.
- Add beets, 2 cups of coconut milk and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Store the remaining coconut milk in the refrigerator.
- Cover, reduce heat to simmer and gently cook beets until tender (~30 minutes). Allow to cool slightly.
- While cooling, add gelatin and 2 tbsp. cold water to a high powered blender and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add beet mixture, 3 tbsp. honey and ½ tsp. vanilla to the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour contents through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl and discard any solids.
- Divide the panna cotta puree evenly among 6 dessert glasses and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Once the panna cotta has set, make the lemon coconut cream.
- Place the remaining cup and a half of coconut milk and a stainless steel mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Remove from freezer and add the coconut milk to the bowl, along with 1 tbsp. honey, 2 tsp. vanilla, and the lemon juice.
- Whip the contents on high with a stand mixer (using whisk attachment), or a hand mixer, for 7 minutes. It's worth the wait for the cream to thicken up!
- Divide the cream and place on top of the panna cotta. Garnish with lemon zest and enjoy!