Who doesn’t love a good fruit pastry? I certainly do, but I haven’t had one in years because the sugars and refined flours just don’t make me feel great. However, these tasty treats are a different beast and something I feel good about surprising my family with. Just enough sweetness and floury texture to satisfy the desire.
The simple ingredients include Cappellos® Lasagna Sheets, made with almond flour, eggs, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and sea salt. Fresh fruit, ghee or grass-fed butter, honey (ideally local and raw), an egg and some cinnamon round out the goodness.
A little water and the back of a fork is all that’s needed to make these cute little squares that pop in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes!
- 1 package Cappellos® Lasagna Sheets, thawed
- 2 cups finely chopped fruit (love apples, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or peach)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon (plus extra for dusting)
- 2 Tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter (plus extra for top), melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Small bowl of water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix chopped fruit with melted butter, cinnamon and honey in a medium bowl.
- Open up the lasagna sheets on a large cutting board and cut into squares (about 2½ to 3 inches).
- Place about 1 Tbsp of fruit mixture in the center of half the squares.
- Dip your finger in water and wet the edges of the bottom square and the top square. Place the top square over the fruit filled bottom and carefully seal the two layers together about ¼ inch in and around the tart using your fingers or the back of a fork.
- Repeat with each square.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the tarts in a single layer.
- Using a basting or pastry brush, brush a thin layer of egg on the top of each tart, followed by a thin layer of melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
My boys love this homemade version of a Pop-Tart and this recipe is simple and quick to throw together. Our favorite flavors right now are raspberry and strawberry. But, better yet, stick with seasonal fruits and enjoy the change of tastes throughout the year!