Garlic Chicken Butternut Squash Lasagna
Author: Juli Bauer (paleOMG)
A good friend of mine, Karen, shared this recipe with me a month or two ago and it is AMAZING!! Such great flavor. I highly recommend giving this one a try. You can click on the link above for the recipe right from Juli Bauer's blog, or read below as I've made a few adjustments (mostly quantities).
- • 2 medium to large butternut squash
- • 2 heads of garlic, roasted
- • 1 yellow onion, diced
- • 2½ lbs of chicken, diced
- • 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- • 1 14oz can coconut milk
- • 2 -3 cups tomato sauce (I used Bionaturae's Organic Strained Tomatoes)
- • ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- • ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- • salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the end off of each garlic bulb to expose the cloves. Wrap in aluminum foil and put in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cut butternut squash into thin slices. There are a few different ways to do this. I cut off each end of squash and then cut off the "neck" from the "bottom". I then stand up each section of squash and use a sharp chefs knife to peel the squash. I cut the bottom or round part of the squash in half lengthwise to scoop out the seeds and flesh. I used a mandolin to cut the squash into thin slices. You could also use a sharp knife (being very careful of your fingers) or a food processor (with chopping blade). The goal is to end up with thin slices as large as possible for layering. Set squash aside.
- Dice the chicken if you haven't already. Add some olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion (stir occasionally to coat and release flavor). After a few minutes, add chicken and a touch of salt. Let the chicken cook over low heat (stirring occasionally) while you make the sauce.
- Add roasted garlic cloves to the food processor (using either a fork or by simply squeezing the cloves out). Add olive oil and process into a paste. Then add coconut milk, tomato sauce, basil and parsley. Process until saucy. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Once the chicken is almost done cooking, remove from heat and prepare to layer your ingredients.
- Add a thin layer of sauce to a 11x13 inch deep baking dish. Then add a layer of squash, a layer of chicken and a layer of sauce. Repeat until you use up your ingredients, making sure to end with a layer of squash and a layer of sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 45 - 50 minutes. Squash should be tender. Allow lasagna to rest for 20 minutes before cutting.