We’ve been getting the best carrots from both our garden and CSA (Copper Moose Farms) this year! This recipe, which came our way through the CSA newsletter, was a great way to use some of them.
I did use a non-homogenized, grass-fed heavy cream. However, if you don’t tolerate any dairy, this soup is still amazing without it!! So give it a try.
- 2½ Tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 purplette onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 cup grass-fed heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in a 6 quart pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until onions start to soften (stirring often).
- Add broth, water, carrots and ginger to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced (~ 20 minutes).
- Remove pot from heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup contents until smooth.
- Add cream and stir.
- Place pot back on the stove and stir over high heat until hot through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into individual bowls and add parsley to taste.