Lemon-Turmeric Chicken and Vegetables
(Adjusted from "Eat Clean Slow Cooker Recipes") Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 4 to 7 hours in slow cooker Serves: 8 to 10
- 6 Chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers (or color of choice), chopped
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt. Add the juice from the lemon and mix well.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken breasts to coat.
- Place the carrots, onions, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro and diced tomatoes in the bottom of a crock-pot. Mix in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Towards the end of the cooking time (about a ½ hour left), add the diced zucchini and spinach. Mix in and allow to finish cooking. If desired, slightly shred chicken with a fork before serving.