Comfort food! There’s something to be said for a nourishing classic dish. I love to power pack a good casserole style recipe with lots of veggies and this one is no exception.
Traditional Shepherd’s Pie is topped with mashed potatoes, and while our family loves potatoes it’s easy for us to get carried away and sometimes a less starchy option is needed. This mashed cauliflower version still provides the creamy mashed texture and is packed with nutrition.
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ lb. bacon, chopped
- 3 large carrots, diced (~ 2 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, diced (~ 2 cups)
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2½ lbs. grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 heads cauliflower florets
- ½ cup grass-fed butter
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Melt coconut oil over medium high heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add onion and cook until softened (about 3 minutes). Add bacon, tossing occasionally until starting to crisp. Stir in carrots and celery. Once they begin to soften add zucchini.
- After a few minutes, add tomato paste, salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme and stir to combine.
- Crumble in ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Pour in broth, lower heat and allow to simmer until broth reduces (~5 minutes).
- While meat and veggie mix simmers, steam cauliflower florets. Once tender, remove from heat and place in a medium pot or bowl. Add butter and puree. You may use an immersion blender, food processor and potato masher. Salt to taste.
- Add meat and veggie mix to a 15" x 10" baking dish. Top with cauliflower mash and evenly spread with a spatula.
- Place in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
I like to place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack below the baking dish in case some bubbles over while cooking.
I love to serve this recipe with Cheddar Garlic grain-free muffins (I’ll share soon).