Author: Shannon Doleac, MS, CSCS, CF-L1
This is a great recipe following Thanksgiving diner! Use your turkey carcass to make gelatin rich homemade bone broth and then this delicious, comforting soup.
- Homemade turkey stock (follow recipe for Homemade Chicken Broth)
- Meat from the carcass (post stock making) and any leftover meat from the carved turkey
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large bag frozen organic broccoli (or fresh florets)
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 bad of frozen organic green peas
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, heat stock over medium heat.
- In a large soup pot, heat a few tbsp of coconut oil over med-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, peppers, and celery and sauté until slightly tender.
- Add the broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add the turkey, peas, herbs and spices, stirring to heat.
- Add hot turkey stock and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes before enjoying.
You may use store bought broth if you don't have time to make your own. I recommend Imagine Brand, but always check ingredients to avoid gluten, corn starch, MSG, added sugar and other unnatural flavorings or preservatives.