Homemade guacamole is one of my all-time favorite snacks for my family because it is loaded with healthy fats and colorful foods! My secret ingredient: APPLES! That’s right — apple guacamole!
Truth be told, I like different versions of guac, but this recipe, highlighting apples, adds such a fun twist that it keeps everyone dipping. Not only do the apples add a bit of sweetness, but they also add texture and tartness to compliment the creaminess of the avocado, bite of the onion, and citrusy taste of the cilantro.
It might be tempting to grab a store-bought version of this green creamy spread, but the simplicity of homemade guacamole keeps a recipe like this quick to prep. And the taste is worth any extra effort.
My kids love to use the potato masher to “smush” the avocados, add all the colorful ingredients to the bowl, and then stir everything to mix these whole foods together.
Have you ever noticed how kids love to dip their food? It’s a great way to introduce new items, new flavors, and new real food combinations to their snacks and meals.
Try this Apple Guacamole recipe as a dip for:
- Raw veggies: carrots, cucumber rounds, jicama, peppers
- Fruits: sliced pears
- Mary’s super seed crackers (non-GMO, organic, gluten free and free of processed vegetable oils)
- Plantain chips
- Corn chips (made with non-GMO corn and cooked in coconut oil)
- Siete’s grain free tortilla chips
We also love Apple Guacamole on:
- Baked salmon
- Grilled chicken
- A slice of homemade long-ferment sourdough toast
And be sure to try Apple Guacamole with your Simple Ground Beef Tacos for Kids!
Guac is always a crowd-pleaser, and can be great for casual get-togethers, entertaining, busy weeknight dinners, or healthy snacks. It’s also a great addition to your primal diet.
Apple Guacamole RecipePrint
- 4 ripe avocados, pitted
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juice from
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Mash avocados in a medium bowl, using a potato masher or fork.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.