Cooking fish like Asian halibut en papillote (in parchment pouches) is one of my favorite methods!
The bag keeps steam in, trapping flavor and moisture for tender, flaky fish! It also makes for an easy and quick weeknight dinner that can be packed with fresh, nutritious foods great for primal living lifestyles. And the kiddos love having their own pouch to open up.
Lots of fresh, colorful veggies went into this primal diet recipe, along with sesame oil and coconut aminos for an asian inspired flavor. The fresh ginger and orange peel are my favorite additions!
A simple cauliflower rice pairs great with Asian halibut dishes, and stays true to the real food deep nutrition focus that helps support our health. You can also pair it with a fresh herb salad or raw brussels and kale salad.Print
- 4, 6 to 8 oz. halibut filets (skin removed)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large bok choy (chopped), OR 8 small baby bok choy heads, ends removed
- 1 large carrot, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 3 green onions, cut into 1” diagonal slices
- Zest from 1 medium orange
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 5 tbsp. coconut aminos, divided
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 4 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place 2 pouches each on 2 rimmed baking sheets.
- Divide peppers, bok choy and carrots into 4 equal portions and place in each pouch.
- Season the fish with sea salt and pepper and place one filet on top of the veggies in each pouch.
- Top fish with even portions of green onion, orange rind and fresh ginger.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil and 3 tbsp. coconut aminos and evenly pour over fish in each pouch.
- Fold open end of pouches to seal and place in oven for about 15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your halibut).
- While fish is cooking, place cauliflower florets in a food processor, with the grater attachment, to “rice.”
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add riced cauliflower and cook until warm through out, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 tbsp. of coconut aminos and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully transfer each halibut pouch to a plate and serve with cauli-rice and an orange wedge.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Asian