The perfect little bowl for primal lifestyle families! Pie pumpkins make a convenient and tasty vessel for this simple recipe with a flavorful meat and veggie filling.
This mince stuffed pumpkin recipe is one of our family’s favorites each fall when our local farm harvests their beautiful winter squashes. These ubiquitous autumn gourds are a real food powerhouse, rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
Small sugar, or pie pumpkins are a must for this type of dish, and I generally find that the deeper the orange color, the better the flavor. After removing the stem, you can choose which direction you want to carefully cut the pumpkin in half. I find that the shape of the pumpkin helps me make my decision.
This flavorful primal diet recipe is such a great opportunity for the whole family to gather in the kitchen as temperatures begin to drop. Have your kids scooping out the pulp and separating the seeds. Sometimes I can get my husband to help dice the veggies while I sauté and pull all the pieces together.
I give recommendations, but the sky’s the limit with this mince stuffed pumpkin recipe. Try pairing it with warm, comforting autumn side dishes like Ginger Carrot Soup, Roasted Squash Wedges, or Turnip Greens with Bacon.
Once you try the basic recipe here, I encourage you to play with other veggies, herbs, and spices based on what’s in season, or what your family enjoys.Print
- 2 pie pumpkins
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork sausage
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (color of choice)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Wash, dry and carefully cut pumpkins in half with a large chef’s knife. Scoop out the pulp and seeds (saving seeds to roast). Place pumpkins cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until flesh is tender when pierced. (Time will vary based on pumpkin size and thickness).
- While pumpkins are cooking, heat coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add crumbled ground beef and sausage and cook through. Toss with thyme, cinnamon, salt and black pepper. Remove meat from pan and place in a large mixing bowl, reserving liquid in pan.
- To the pan, add celery, carrots, pepper, and onion and cook until just tender (about 5 minutes). Add apple and fresh sage, and then combine with meat mixture. Any remaining stuffing can be placed in a separate baking dish and cooked alongside pumpkins.
- Place back in oven for 30 minutes. Enjoy!