Zesty goodness in a jar! With a simple dressing, colorful produce, and pulled pork, this Barbeque Pork Jar Salad is a great lunch option to prepare ahead. Ingredients are layered for convenience, beauty, and texture.
Whenever I slow cook a pork shoulder or my husband smokes one on the GreenEgg, we inevitably have leftovers. This Barbeque Pork Jar Salad is a great way to use the leftovers in combination with healthy veggies and the tang of a primal-approved BBQ sauce.
Successful jar salads are all about proper assembly!
Here are some tips to for building mason jar salads with any ingredients you have on hand:
- Add the dressing first to prevent lettuce from getting soggy.
- Hearty vegetables that hold up to liquid (and are tasty marinated) go in next (carrots, peppers, celery, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and even cucumbers are examples).
- Next are proteins — diced chicken, chopped steak, pulled pork, sliced egg, etc.
- More delicate ingredients, such as olives, cheese, and green onions should then be added.
- Keep greens at the top so they stay crisp!
- Finish your jar salad with toppings — nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
Multiply this recipe by people in your family and send one along with everyone for the day. Whether you need lunches for school and work, or healthy meals for your next road trip, this jar salad is packable, nutritious, and full of flavor.Print
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp clean BBQ sauce (like Primal Kitchen)
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 handful shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 of a green apple, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pulled pork
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp sprouted pumpkin seeds
- Baby spinach to fill
- Whisk dressing ingredients and add to the bottom of a quart sized mason jar.
- Add carrots, cabbage, apple, red pepper, pork, onions, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds carefully in order to create layers.
- Fill jar with baby spinach.
- Top with a lid and place in the fridge until ready to eat, or take on the go!
- Shake and enjoy.