- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 lbs of chicken tenders or breast cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups arugula, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped (or leaves torn)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium pot, bring chicken stock and 2 cups water just to a boil. Let simmer.
- In another soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in thyme and bay leaf. Then add onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook 5 to 7 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Pour hot stock into the pot with chicken and veggies, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly and add coconut milk. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in arugula, basil and lemon zest. Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy.
For a similar recipe with a different flavor profile, try my Crockpot Chicken Soup.