- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potato, peeled and chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 2 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 – 2 ½ lbs cooked chicken thighs, shredded
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
Optional toppings: diced avocado, sliced radish, chopped cilantro, raw cashews, green onions
- Add coconut oil to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is melted add onion, celery, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes until onions start to soften.
- Add red pepper and sweet potato. Stir well and saute veggies for 3 more minutes.
- Add paprika, turmeric, ginger, salt, and ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour in broth and diced tomatoes to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare kale, and any toppings. Add chopped kale to the pot. It will seem like a lot, but will cook down quickly.
- After kale cooks down, add cooked, shredded chicken to the soup.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with desired toppings.
Keywords: chicken sweet potato soup