- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 2 tsp. ginger, divided
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 2 large oranges
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced or chopped
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Spinach or salad greens
- Combine sea salt, pepper, paprika, parsley and 1 tsp. ginger in a small bowl. Rub spice mix all over chicken (inside and out).
- Place chicken in a slow cooker and set on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot. Separate all meat and shred with 2 forks. Place meat in a medium sized bowl.
- Zest 1 orange and place zest in another bowl. Add the juice from the same orange to the bowl. Whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil, tarragon, green onion, 1 tsp. ginger, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Add the orange tarragon dressing to the chicken and toss.
- Using a paring knife, carefully remove the skin from the second orange. Slice the orange crosswise and each slice in quarters.
- Serve chicken over a bed of spinach or mixed salad greens. Add the sliced orange and avocado and drizzle with olive oil.
1. You can substitute cooked and diced or shredded chicken if you don’t have time to slow cook a whole one.
2. Remember to throw the chicken bones, skin and any meat still on the carcass back into the crockpot to make bone broth or stock!