And beginning a ‘paleo’ lifestyle, or even committing to a 30-day challenge can be intimidating!
Here are some tips to those of you who are participating, or for any of you who are looking to crack down and get back on track.
(For those of you participating in the challenge – this would be where your goal(s) fit in). Then WRITE it down!
• It’s a nutrient dense way of eating (real, whole, fresh foods)
• Helps eliminate blood sugar highs and lows
• Decreases cravings – foods can have an incredible psychological effect
• Reduces inflammation (local and systemic)
• Promotes hormonal balance
• Enhances nutrient absorption and utilization
• Aides in digestive health – repairs leaky, damaged gut
• Encourages fat burning
• You can tailor it to meet your needs. A template of sorts.
• Have a few websites/blogs bookmarked that you can turn to for simple recipes (I have a list of some of my favorites right HERE on my website).
• Write up a meal plan – at least for the next couple days to get you started. It doesn’t have to be complicated! Remember, you want to choose a quality meat (beef, poultry, pork, eggs, seafood/fish), plenty of veggies, and a source of natural fat (coconut oil, coconut butter, canned coconut milk, nuts, avocado, olives, olive oil, and animal fat from a HEALTHY well-raised animal are some good options) for each meal. Start with meals that you are used to eating that fit within the paleo guidelines (maybe with a few tweaks).
• Make your grocery list!
• If they aren’t there, you can’t eat them. Get rid of any temptations and non-paleo foods. Donate foods to your local shelter. Some people simply need calories and you will be helping yourself and others.
• If you are new to ‘paleo’ check out the Primal Living page right HERE at Primal Peak for a brief overview.
• Getting in the kitchen to cook is one of the best things you can do for your health and that of your family!
• Record how you feel at the start of your challenge (or in your moment of buckling down).
• Jot down how you feel along the way – the highs and lows.
Adjusting to a ‘paleo’ approach can be challenging, but by following these steps you will put yourself in a great position to be successful.