Not sure what to do with all those leftovers and spare ingredients from other Primal Diet recipes? Make an awesome healthy breakfast with the veggies left from yesterday’s meal with this Clean Out the Fridge Vegetable Frittata.
In our home we sometimes refer to frittata as an “egg bake” – colorful ingredients all held together with nutritious eggs.
This particular frittata recipe calls for beets, carrots, kale, and onions, and it’s a great one to start with and get comfortable with the basic recipe. When you are ready to be creative, just swap the veggies and follow the general proportions. It can be a kitchen adventure for the whole family!
This recipe is a win on so many levels.
- It’s nutrient dense for general health and peak performance.
- It decreases potential food waste and uses up any leftovers.
- It’s a healthy breakfast idea that adds veggies to your morning meal.
- It’s a perfect make-ahead dish to put breakfast, lunch, or dinner on the table in a snap!
- It’s one of the simplest last minute dinner ideas, since it uses ingredients you already have.
- And it just tastes delicious — so delicious you may want to double batch it.
Enjoy a healthy meal while saving the last recipe’s throwaway ingredients. This adaptable real food recipe can include all kinds of different vegetables and seasonings — whatever’s in the fridge!Print
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups beets, peeled and sliced (1/8” thick)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced (1/8” thick)
- 2 cups chopped kale, or beet greens
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup Homemade Pesto
- 2 Tbsp. ghee or grass-fed butter
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Melt butter and add onions until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add beets and carrots to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until veggies soften and just begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped kale and toss until just wilted.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk eggs until yolks and whites combine. Gently stir in coconut milk and remaining salt and pepper.
- Grease an 8 x 10 inch baking dish with ghee or butter. Add sautéed veggie mix and spread evenly in the dish. Pour the egg mixture over top and drizzle with pesto.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until eggs are set in the center.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- This recipe is an example of how to use different types of veggies in an egg bake. You may substitute other choices based on what you have on hand in order to use up leftovers or based on ﬂavor preferences. For example, swap potatoes for beets or asparagus for carrots.
- If you tolerate dairy well, you may substitute the coconut milk for an organic, grass-fed cream and sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese on top of the dish before baking.
- Make this dish the day before so it’s ready to go for a quick breakfast.
- If you have leftover fresh or frozen homemade pesto, use it! If you have cooked leftover veggies you may substitute those and skip the sauté step.