Who says you can’t make a cranberry orange bread without grains? This grain-free comfort food recipe substitutes alternative flours for a healthier, more nutritious take on this classic sweet bread recipe.
This almond flour based primal diet bread recipe has been making an appearance in our kitchen for many years now. It’s just the right amount of sweetness, tartness, and bread-like texture, and I love it as a vehicle for a good pat of grass-fed butter!
When our boys were younger, this paleo orange bread was a favorite snack and we even used it to make french toast from time to time. Recipes like this one are great for getting your kids in the kitchen to learn basic measur.ing, stirring, juicing and zesting skills. Adding colorful real food ingredients, such as cranberries and orange, to the bowl and getting to swirl them together has always been a favorite in our house.
It is important to note that when you are using nut flours as an alternative to traditional wheat flours, your nut consumption can add up quickly. I account for this bread as my serving of nuts on the day(s) I enjoy it.
Nuts are a great real food source of fiber, healthy fats, and some protein, but it’s easy to overdo with a primal eating style because of their convenience for snacking or their substitution for foods you are reducing or eliminating.
Cranberry bread is often associated with the winter holidays, but I love this paleo orange bread version anytime of year. Try pairing it with a warm seasonal beverage like a Turmeric Chai Latte or Pumpkin Spice Latte.
Also, check out our Weekly Paleo Meal Plan for more paleo diet recipes!
The base of this recipe is great for experimenting with your own mix-ins as well, so get in the kitchen and have some fun with it.
We’d love to hear about your own creations!Print
This is a ‘paleo-friendly’ recipe for those special occasions when you have the desire for a “bread-like” compliment to your meal. This particular paleo bread has a slightly sweet flavor.
- 3 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda (preferably aluminum free)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. raw honey (optional)
- 3/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (sweetened with juice)
- Coconut oil (for greasing pan)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients (almond flour through salt) in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in the honey, apple cider vinegar, and orange juice and whisk until mixed.
- Add the egg mixture to the large bowl and combine dry ingredients with wet to form a batter.
- Fold in the orange zest and cranberries.
- Pour the batter into a well greased 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf.
- Remove from oven and allow the pan to cool 10 minutes before removing loaf.