- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 4 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium turnips, scrubbed, trimmed, and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry (ideally pasture-raised)
- 1 Tbsp Herbs de Provence
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Add onion, carrots, celery, turnips, and garlic to the pot of a 6 – 8 quart slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with Herbs de Provence, salt, and pepper. Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add bay leaves and apple cider vinegar to the pot and then fill with water.
- Set your slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the chicken (it may fall apart, which is a good sign) and place it on a rimmed baking sheet. Allow chicken to cool slightly before using two forks to remove the meat from the bones, skin, and other tissues. Gently shred meat and place back in the pot.
- Set aside bones, skin, and rest of the carcass to make another round of bone broth!
- Now is your opportunity to add any additional veggies (fresh or frozen), flavors, or herbs and stir until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!