by Shannon Doleac and Ellie Rice
We are going old school today and bringing back a product that was probably a staple in your parents, grandparents and/or great-grandparents daily regimen: cod liver oil! That’s right, cod liver oil. But, I’m not here to talk about just any cod liver oil, I want to share with you the benefits of fermented cod liver oil (FCLO). Sounding better? Maybe not, but stick with me.
We’ve all heard of the benefits of taking fish oil for it’s anti-inflammatory healthy fats, but fermented cod liver oil may pack a bigger punch. There are a couple concerns to taking the fish oil capsules most of us are used to. One being contamination of pollutants and the other being that omega-3s are fragile, or can go rancid quickly. But, what makes fermented cod liver oil different?
The fermentation process allows for the oil to be extracted from the liver without damaging the nutrients through heating or a chemical extraction process. The oil itself is not fermented, but the natural fermentation process allows for the separation of the healthy oil from the liver. Without the use of heat, the nutrients in the oil are maintained, thus allowing us to benefit from their important properties. FCLO is a great source of whole food omega-3 fatty acids, and it is also a great source of the fat-soluble vitamins A and D, as well as small amounts of E and K. These vitamins (especially D3) are hard to get through the food supply, but are critical to our health.
Benefits of fermented cod liver oil:
- Contains the proper ratio of vitamins A and D
- A whole food form of omega 3 fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins
- Many of the nutrients in FCLO are unavailable through other fish oil sources
- It’s a “super food”!
- Easier and more effective at assimilating nutrients
- Lowers triglycerides in the body
- Lowers blood pressure levels
- Reduces protein in the urine, which can improve kidney function
Benefits of vitamin A:
- Essential to formation of our vision in dim light
- Bone growth
- Reproduction and immune system health
- Cell division and cell differentiation
Benefits of vitamin D:
- Technically a hormone
- Bone growth
- Fights disease
- Decreases inflammation in the body
- Regulates calcium and phosphate levels in the bloodstream
- Every cell in our body has vitamin D receptors – shows how important it is
Benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids:
- Enhances cardiovascular, brain, skin and immune function
- Moderates systemic inflammation
- Increases insulin sensitivity
- Reduces risk of heart attack and other disease
When I work with individuals I often talk about the synergistic effect of whole food, or the benefits to health from elements of whole food that seem far greater than supplementing with their parts. FCLO speaks to this point! You will not find in depth info into the exact amounts of EPA/DHA, omega-3s, or fat soluble vitamins on the bottle of FCLO just as you won’t find a nutrition label on the kale in your garden.
As far as I know, Green Pasture brand is the only brand that is using this fermentation method to provide cod liver oil. Green Pasture is a family owned business that focuses on providing “high-quality sacred-food oils just as they were made prior to the industrialized food and farming revolution.” All products are also 3rd party tested for toxins.
For increased amounts of vitamins K2 and E (helpful when taken with A and D3), try FCLO with high vitamin butter oil. Read more about this great concentrated oil HERE!
My favorite product is Green Pasture’s Cinnamon flavored FCLO/Butter Oil Blend. I take it followed my a squeeze of fresh lemon. Capsules are also available and sometimes a more mild introduction.
“Fermented cod liver oil is the one supplement I think nearly everyone can benefit from. I’ve seen it clear acne, lift depression, balance hormones, and reverse autoimmunity. I use it myself and recommend it to all of my patients.” – Chris Kresser, L.Ac.
Have you ever tried FCLO and if so, what’s your favorite flavor and way to take it?
Note: Primal Peak is not sponsored by Green Pasture in any way. This is simply a product I find very beneficial.