There’s something magical about adding healthy ingredients to a blender, turning the power switch on, and seeing the swirl of beautiful color — especially through the eyes of a child!
Kids love smoothies (at least mine do). But, smoothies can be very high in sugar and leave little ones cranky and hungry an hour later.
I love recipes like this Acai Kiwi Smoothie with Chia Seeds that emphasize naturally lower-sugar and high antioxidant fruits (açaí and kiwi), paired with fibrous greens and seeds (spinach and chia), and healthy fats (avocado and nut butter) for longer lasting and nutrient-rich sustenance.
This primal lifestyle kiwi smoothie recipe is especially fun with its colorful layering. Mix together? Or eat a layer at a time? Your choice!
It’s hard to believe, but these Sambazon packets of frozen açaí berry have ZERO sugar in them. We keep them in the freezer for easy smoothie additions and a boost of antioxidants and healthy omega fats. You could also substitute frozen blueberries in this recipe.
Chia seeds are also a good source of antioxidants, omega-3 fats, manganese, and fiber. For this recipe, I soak them in almond milk for at least 20 minutes before adding them to the blender. Chia seeds are hydrophilic and absorb liquid up to form a gel-like texture. This can make them easier to digest and provides this real food smoothie with a thicker texture.
Not only do kids love to eat acai kiwi smoothies, they also love to make them. Have your youngest kitchen helpers add ingredients to the blender. As they get older, they can help measure, chop, use the blender, and pour the smoothie into glasses.
With this recipe being so low in sugar, I often added a little local honey for my kids. But, it’s a great smoothie as is for those of you who enjoy creamy tart flavor.
Smoothies can be a nourishing breakfast, or snack, but if you need more healthy dinner ideas for kids, check out this recipe round-up from our home to your’s.Print
- 2 packs frozen unsweetened açaí (or sub 1 cup frozen blueberries)
- 3 scoops nut butter (peanut, or almond)
- 2 cups almond milk (or macadamia or coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp local honey (optional)
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 2 kiwis, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 avocado
- 4 ice cubes
- Stir chia seeds into almond milk and allow to “soak” for at least 20 minutes.
- All milk and chia mixture, açaí, nut butter, and honey (if using) to a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into four little glasses or 2 pint sized mason jars.
- Rinse blender and add spinach, kiwi, avocado, and ice.
- Blend until smooth (scraping down sides of blender as necessary).
- Top each glass with this beautiful green mixture.
- Top with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of chia seeds if desired. Serve and enjoy!