There is something special about the combination of ham and eggs! There is also something special about using food to naturally contain other food – I love it. These little Buttercups are both delicious and beautiful — helping to start your day with a blossom of goodness.
Taking the same ingredients and presenting them in different ways can be very effective when your family is adopting a real food lifestyle. An omelet with diced onions, peppers, and ham can turn up the nose of your five year old, when the same ingredients of a Ham and Egg Buttercup may win them over. Trying different cooking techniques keeps food fun for kids and grown-ups alike.
Kids can be helpful AND enjoy being part of the cooking process when you invite them into the kitchen. Tasks that are both developmentally appropriate and provide learning opportunities depend on your child’s age, but here are a few suggestions for how your kids can help with this recipe:
- Use a basting brush to spread melted coconut oil on the inside of muffin tins
- Lay slices of deli ham in the muffin tins to form a cup
- Wash and dry vegetables
- Chop vegetables (with help and supervision)
- Spoon chopped veggies into cups
- Crack eggs
- Top Buttercups with fresh herbs
When my boys were younger they went through phases where they didn’t care for “yolky” eggs. If this is the case in your home, you can quickly scramble the egg before adding to the ham cup. This is a great option if you like your egg yolks and whites mixed. Enjoy!
An easy and yummy breakfast! Be creative with your favorite “mix-ins” and flavors.
- 12 large eggs
- 12 slices of ham (preferably a quality, nitrite/nitrate free, source)
- 1/2 cup mushroom finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup shallots finely chopped (optional)
- Fresh chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- Coconut oil or coconut oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease muffin tin with coconut oil
- Place one slice of ham in each cup
- If adding veggies, evenly distribute them into each ham cup
- Crack an egg into each ham cup
- Top with chives
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on how you like your egg)