I’m not sure what it is, but every time I announce “rice-bowls” for dinner, excitement fills the room! My kids love any kind of rice bowl, even if it’s cauliflower rice.
I find this dish very quick to pull together and something we turn to often with the ease of ground beef and tasty flavors. It’s a great way to get in a good dose of cruciferous veggies and a pop of color.
Pre-riced or minced organic cauliflower is easier than ever to find in the produce or freezer section of your local store. It’s also very easy to rice it yourself with a shredder blade and food processor. But, honestly, I turn to the pre-riced stuff more often than not because the food processing can leave quite a mess in your kitchen.
If white rice is part of your family’s meal plan, you can certainly opt for this choice, or even a combination of both, which I sometimes do for our kids – they’re happy and so am I.Print
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs. grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups riced cauliflower (or cooked white rice)
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 head steamed broccoli
- In a large skillet melt 1 Tbsp coconut oil over med-high heat. Crumble in ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Break up and stir frequently.
- Add diced onion and pepper, toss to combine and cook until soften.
- While veggies are cooking, whisk coconut aminos, sesame oil, honey, garlic, ginger, sea salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Pour into the skillet and toss. Add additional seasonings to taste.
- Add diced green onions and reduce heat to low while you prepare the cauliflower-rice.
- To prepare the cauliflower-rice, heat remaining 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add riced cauliflower and toss to coat. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until desired softness, while occasionally stirring. Add a dash of salt and pepper and mix.
- Serve meat mixture over cauliflower-rice and garnish with crushed red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Add steamed broccoli to the side or mix in.