One dish meal, anyone? I’m always a sucker for a warm, baked casserole full of quality protein, lots of colorful veggies and natural fats. Especially during the colder months. Prep the parts, layer it up, let the aromas fill the house, and feed the family with a nourishing dish!
I love this flavorful Mexican twist on classic lasagna. Green chilies, enchilada sauce, avocado, cilantro! The recipe is also one of our family’s favorite ways to use Cappellos Lasagna Sheets. You can find these almond flour based noodles in the freezer section of many health food stores. I often add shredded raw cheddar or Dubliner cheese, but this is completely optional if dairy doesn’t support your health.
With some chopping, basic sautéing, and fun layering, making this dish with your kids is an opportunity to practice cooking skills and build competence in the kitchen. Try giving everyone in the family a piece of responsibility and it will come together in no time.
Note: This recipe feeds our family of four for two+ meals (I have three hungry boys) and I love having the extra. But, you could easily half the recipe!!
Note 2: I will often use the 365 (Whole Foods brand) organic red enchilada sauce as a decent store bought option, but I don’t love that it contains cornstarch. El Pato is another okay choice. Better yet, try a homemade recipe such as Against All Grain’s Easy Gluten-Free Enchilada Sauce.
- 3 lbs. organic chicken thighs (skinless, boneless)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 can (28 oz.) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) diced green chilies
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jars (15 oz. each) red enchilada sauce
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 2 packages of Cappellos lasagna sheets, thawed
- 12 oz. raw cheddar, or Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, shredded (optional)
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped avocado
- Place chicken thighs, chili powder, cumin, salt and ½ cup water in an Instant Pot. Lock the lid and set on manual (high pressure) for 35 minutes. Release pressure.
- Drain liquid and shred chicken with 2 forks. Add diced tomatoes and green chilies and mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Melt coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, zucchini, jalapeño and garlic and sauté until onions become translucent and tender. Add 1 jar of enchilada sauce and cook until warm.
- Place about ¼ cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 15 x 11" baking dish and spread evenly.
- Place one layer of noodles on the bottom of the dish - about 3 lengthwise. Add half of the veggie and sauce mixture and spread evenly. Add half of the chicken mixture, spreading evenly. Add about 2½ oz. of spinach and ⅓ of the cheese, spreading evenly as well. Repeat another layer. Finish the dish with one final layer of noodles, enchilada sauce (to your liking) and the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before cutting to serve.
- Top with green onion, cilantro and avocado.
1. Use a slow cooker: add chicken, spices and water and set on low for 6 hours.
2. Or, season chicken and bake in the oven (on a baking pan) in a single layer for about 25 minutes (or until cooked through).