When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade! When a good friend brings you a big box of organic Asian Pears from her backyard, you make pear crumble pie – of course!
We all devoured a bunch of these tiny morsels of crisp juiciness as is, but I also couldn’t resist the opportunity to embrace the changing of the seasons and surprise my family with a tasty treat.
This recipe works with any kind of pear and offers a unique twist with the addition of fresh basil and fall spices. Real, whole ingredients with one of our favorite natural sweeteners: honey!
Enjoy as is, with a dollop of fresh coconut cream, whipped cream or simply a drizzle of organic heavy cream itself. Try it with a Pumpkin Spice Smoothie.
- 4 cups diced pears
- ~3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 6 Tbsp. butter (or coconut oil), divided and melted
- 5 Tbsp. honey, divided
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 tsp. ground cardamom, divided
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 cup hazelnut flour
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup organic heavy whipping cream (optional), or substitute chilled full-fat canned coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine pears, basil, 3 Tbsp melted butter, 2 Tbsp honey, arrowroot, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. cardamom, 1/4 tsp. allspice and 1/4 tsp. sea salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Grease an 8 x 8″ baking dish with butter or coconut oil and evenly spread the filling.
- Stir the crumble ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (hazelnut flour, shredded coconut, almond extract, 1/4 tsp. cardamom, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. sea salt) and crumble evenly over the pear filling.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, making sure pears have softened.
- Serve with whipped heavy cream or chilled coconut milk.