There’s nothing like a warm bowl of chili on a cold winter night. This Primal Chili recipe combines lean ground beef with a variety of vegetables and spices for a nutritious, primal lifestyle friendly meal the whole family will love.
On a brisk Fall day or a snowy Winter night, this paleo chili recipe has become one of our go-to meals. Perfect by itself, or paired with a green salad or your favorite paleo “bread”.
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 to 2 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (24 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- Optional toppings: green onions, avocado, tomato, black olives
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil to melt.
- Add onions, stir frequently, and cook until translucent (~ 5 mins). Add garlic and stir.
- Crumble the ground beef into the pot and mix with wooden spoon until well combined with onions and garlic. Cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring frequently (~ 7 mins).
- Add chopped carrots, celery, zucchini and peppers to the pot, stir to combine. Cook until veggies start to become tender (7 – 10 mins), stirring occasionally.
- Add spices and herbs to the pot, mixing well to bring out flavors (~ 1 min).6. Next, add the tomato paste. Again, stir until combined (~ 2 mins).
- Add diced tomatoes (with juice) and broth, stir and bring to just a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Remove from heat, serve in soup bowls and
- top with diced green onions, diced avocado, chopped tomatoes and / or sliced black olives!!
This is a mild chili recipe. For more heat, up the chili powder, add jalapenos or top with hot sauce.