The smell of warm roasted nuts is always worth the effort. Ten minutes of your time can be a game-changer when you are trying to impress with your home-cooked salad, main dish, dessert, or simple snack!
Every combination of nuts can be a great snack for the whole family, but this recipe is my mix of favorite varieties, prepared and roasted in just ten minutes.
The benefits of nuts extend far and wide.
- They are a source of fiber, healthy fats, and plant proteins — all contributing to their satiating quality.
- They are one of the most convenient real food, low carb, primal diet friendly snacks, or on-the-go fuel sources out there.
- They are a great source of minerals and antioxidants (each variety with their own stars).
With store bought roasted nuts you run the risk of them being cooked in man-made industrialized oils, such as canola, soybean oil, sunflower, or safflower. Such oils are inflammatory to begin with because they are fragile and prone to oxidation, leading to free-radical damage in the body.
At home you can stick to dry roasting, or you have control over which oils you would like to lightly coat your nuts in. Healthier options include avocado oil and coconut oil.
Roasted nuts make for a healthy after school snack that can even be made in advance (as part of your food prep routine).
What’s your favorite combination of nuts? Try them roasted and let us know what you think — just keep a close eye on those nuggets as they can go from almost done to burnt with the blink of an eye!Print
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, or hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, or macadamias
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, or Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- Dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Spread nuts in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 5 minutes and then toss. Place in oven for 2 more minutes and check again.
- Roasted nuts can go from almost done to burnt very quickly, so keep a close eye on them if 7 minutes wasn’t long enough!
- Use a very small amount of avocado oil on the nuts with a dash of Himalayan Sea Salt and/or cayenne pepper.