Do you have fond childhood memories of Campbell’s canned tomato soup and homemade grilled cheese sandwiches? I certainly do, and now my youngest son does as well.
But, knowing what we’ve learned about the importance of seeking nutrient density and quality ingredients for optimal health, it’s nearly impossible to run to the store and grab a box or can of soup that I feel good about (although I do like Kettle and Fire’s Tomato Soup!). So, we make our own!
I love the ease of this recipe, and better yet, I love that it’s full of more than just tomatoes. The addition of quickly roasted carrots, onions, celery, and garlic, as well as red peppers, gives it a unique flavor and more nutrition. (Roasting frozen vegetables can work for this, if you don’t have fresh ones on hand.)
Unlike canned soups, it’s made with real food ingredients, and free from processed foods and preservatives.
My kids can also help with the washing, chopping, blending and stirring as we bring the ingredients in this recipe together.
You may not guess that grilled cheese sandwiches are part of our household menu, but every now and then we enjoy modified versions to go along with our homemade tomato soup.
We usually opt for Simple Mills Artisan Bread (almond flour mix) or our local long-ferment traditional sourdough bread, and add fixings such as sliced ham and green apples to accompany raw cheddar or goat’s milk cheese.
For another comfort food classic made in a slow cooker, try my Crockpot Chicken Soup.Print
- 4 – 6 carrots, rough chopped
- 4 – 6 celery stalks, trimmed and rough chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 – 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1, 28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1, 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers (~ 2 – 3 peppers)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped (or scant Tbsp dried)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup organic cream, or coconut milk
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toss carrots, celery, onion and garlic with avocado oil to coat. Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Add roasted vegetables, diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, roasted red peppers and tomato paste to a 5 – 6 quart slow cooker. Stir in basil and seasonings.
- Cook for 6 hours on the low heat setting.
- Carefully puree the soup with an immersion blender, or in small batches in a regular blender (allowing space for heat to escape).
- Stir in the cream or coconut milk until well incorporated.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and enjoy.
- Category: Soup
Keywords: tomato soup