There is something so comforting about a bowl of baked oatmeal! My favorite part is that oats become a blank canvas for both savory or sweet ingredients — endless flavor combinations ensue. This Fall Harvest Baked Oats dish is the perfect example with the unique inclusion of shredded root vegetables.
Following a primal lifestyle means that our family doesn’t eat many grains, but gluten-free oats make an occasional appearance if they are well sourced and well prepared.
Organic sprouted oats that are non-GMO and glyphosate-free land on the well-sourced list, and making sure that the oats are soaked and/or cooked makes them easier to digest for maximum nutrient absorption and a healthy gut.
When local carrots and beets are in season, we usually have quite a bounty and finding ways to creatively use them is one of my favorite kitchen tasks. Just a cup of these shredded roots adds beautiful color, texture, and deep nutrition to a prep-ahead breakfast like this baked oatmeal.
Not only do naturally sweet veggies add a punch of nutrition to this dish, but they also offer an opportunity to involve your kids in the kitchen. Washing fresh produce, assisting with shredding, and mixing the ingredients together are all tasks that kids can help with.
Anytime you can involve your kids in making a recipe with you, they will be much more likely to try a bite and be excited about healthy real foods!
Adding fresh chopped pears to this dish compliments the fall roots and adds more natural sweetness for young taste buds. Try this recipe with different varieties of pears to see which your family prefers and see if you can taste a difference.
When the baking dish comes out of the oven and it’s time to serve a scoop, I love adding a splash of fresh cream, or milk alternative, to the top for extra creaminess and moisture. Yum yum!!Print
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup pecans (or walnuts), chopped
- 1 pear, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded beets
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp butter (or ghee), melted (+ more for greasing the baking dish)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Grease an 8 x 8″ baking dish with butter or ghee.
- Mix together 1/2 cup nuts, 2 Tbsp shredded coconut, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix oats, baking powder, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, syrup, egg, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to oat mixture and stir to mix. Add 1/2 cup nuts, remaining coconut, pear, carrots, and beets and fold until combined.
- Pour batter into baking dish and top evenly with the nut and coconut mixture (from the small bowl).
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until set and golden brown on top.
- Serve warm, cold, or make ahead and reheat. Try with a splash of fresh organic cream, or milk alternative.