- 1 1/4 lbs. chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced in 1/4″ rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 8 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2” or 2 1/2 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/3 oz. or 1/8 cup lemon grass, cut into 1″ diagonal slices
- 3 1/2 tbsp. fish sauce
- Lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 13.5 oz. cans full fat coconut milk
- 3 tsp. red curry paste
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for topping
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: 2 cups cooked white rice
- Place chicken in the bottom of a 5 – 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrots, pepper, and mushrooms.
- In a large bowl, mix together lime leaves, ginger, lemon grass, fish sauce, lime juice, chicken broth, coconut milk, curry paste, and chili powder and stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the slow cooker and gently mix.
- Set slow cooker on low for 6 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Remove lime leaves and lemon grass stalks before serving.
- Add a dash of sea salt and/or black pepper to taste, if desired.
- Serve (over 1/2 cup white rice if desired) and top with chopped fresh cilantro.