Everyone loves a good turkey sandwich! But, cleaning up your eating regimen can put this lunch time staple at the bottom of the list — until now. With an emphasis on the real food, nutrient dense innards, this Ultimate Turkey Sandwich Recipe is also perfect for a gluten-free lunch box.
When our family started following a primal lifestyle many years ago, our pantry was void of most grains, including sandwich bread. Over the years we’ve found a few slices that contain clean ingredients for housing the fixings of a turkey sandwich.
Whether we use this almond flour mix, which you can buy here; a local long-ferment organic ancient grain sourdough; or a simple no-filler gluten-free bread; we make sure to emphasize veggies and quality meats in any sandwich recipe.
This Ultimate Turkey Sandwich starts with a dose of healthy fat with smashed avocado, followed by organic grass-fed cheddar, hormone and antibiotic free real deli turkey, roasted red pepper, sliced purple onion, juicy tomato, and topped with baby spinach. Simple, classic, and delicious.
Now the question becomes, can you fit it in your mouth?!
Serve with a side of plantain chips (cooked in coconut oil) and we have a gluten-free lunch that is ready to power us through the rest of the day. No blood-sugar rollercoaster in this lunch tin!
When my kids come home from school with this stack of quality protein, colorful veggies, and healthy fats in their bellies they are always happy campers.
What’s in your favorite lunch tin? (I’m partial to this one from Amazon). Give the Ultimate Turkey Sandwich a try this week.Print
- 2 slices of gluten-free multigrain (or traditional sourdough) bread
- 1/2 avocado, smashed
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 slice of organic cheddar cheese
- 3 slices of organic, deli turkey (such as AppleGate Farms)
- 1 roasted red pepper (can be jarred — pat dry), sliced
- 1 slice of purple onion, halved
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 handful baby spinach
- Squeeze lime juice and add a dash of salt and pepper to smashed avocado and mix.
- Spread avocado on one slice of bread, followed by cheese, turkey, red pepper, onion, tomato, and spinach.
- Top with second piece of bread.
- Carefully slice in half. Pack it up in your favorite bento box, or plate it and dig in.
- Open wide!