What’s not to love about mashed sweet potatoes? Now take them to a whole new level with real vanilla bean. It’s hard to believe that these teeny tiny specks can produce so much flavor, but they do! The combination of the sweet potato itself and the vanilla bean eliminates the need for any added sugar.Print
- ~12 cups, peeled and chopped sweet potato
- 3 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 6 inches of vanilla bean
- Sea salt to taste
- Add sweet potatoes to a large pot.
- Just cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (about 10 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer (low boil) for an additional 15 minutes.
- Drain liquide from pot.
- Carefully slice vanilla bean vertically to open the pod. Using the edge of a knife, scrape the bean specks out of the pod. Make sure to get as much as you can!
- Add vanilla bean speaks, butter and coconut milk to the pot.
- Using an immersion blender or a potato masher, mash the potatoes and combine the ingredients into your desired consistency.
Real (and costly) vanilla bean is worth it in this dish! A treat that is a Thanksgiving tradition in our house. You may substitute 2 tsp. of vanilla extract instead.